Piggy Paint Non-Toxic Nail Polish Contains Chemical: Methylisothiazolinone (MIT)

Well, last week I received some disturbing news: One of my best-selling products and one that I firmly believed in, was changing their formula. Change is ok, don't get me wrong, but not when the new change means their formula would contain a chemical preservative that I can not sell in my store. As of last week, all new Piggy Paint non-toxic nail polishes will contain methylisothiazolinone or MIT.


Why is Piggy Paint Nail Polish Adding Methylisothiazolinone?

Methylisothiazolinone or MIT, is a chemical preservative used to inhibit growth of bacteria and molds. As Piggy Paint nail polish is water-based, it needs something to ensure nasty germs don't grow in the bottle of nail polish. Other nail polishes with ethers or alcohols will prevent germs from growing in the nail polish.

So, Piggy Paint's formula will now contain the chemical MIT, to prevent growth of bacteria and mold.



Will Natural e GREEN Continue Selling Piggy Paint in Canada?

At first, I was unsure of the decision whether or not I'd continue to sell Piggy Paint from Natural e GREEN in Canada. But, after detailed discussions with the manufacturer and doing a few days worth of research, I have come to my conclusion: No, Natural e GREEN will not sell the new bottles of Piggy Paint non-toxic nail polish.

There are a couple of reasons for this decision:

1. Methylisothiazolinone is a chemical that has gained media exposure and is a chemical preservative that is known to cause skin allergies and sensitivities. Another chemist I researched mentioned a benzyne ring in its chemical makeup, which may also indicate it could be a possible endocrine disruptor. As will all these chemicals, more research is necessary to understand human effects.

2. MIT is rated as a 6 on the toxicity scale by EWG (1-10 with 10 being the highest). Now, I know many manufacturers do not like the EWG and I understand that it all depends on how high the concentrations are of something, but there is still not enough information to prove it is safe.

Now, I know the allowable limit of Methylisothiazolinone is 100ppm and the new Piggy Paint formula uses only 50ppm. So, in theory, it appears  Piggy Paint uses "under the allowable limit", which is good. However, it brings me back to my original point, "there is still MIT in the formula and exposure to the chemical MIT in Piggy Paint."

We will continue to sell the products we have left in stock, as they are the old formula. Once they are gone, they are gone. We will replace our Piggy Paint line with SunCoat water-based nail polish and SunCoat girl nail polish.


How Did Natural e GREEN Find out About MIT in Piggy Paint?

My customers have been asking me to bring in some of the new Piggy Paint colors for quite some time. A couple of weeks ago I ordered some new colors and one of the colors was a glow-in-the-dark color. I was naturally curious to see what ingredient caused it to glow in the dark! Reading the label I did not immediately see what ingredient caused a glow in the dark effect, but I did come across an ingredient that I know all too well: Methylisothiazolinone or MIT.

I began checking out the other colors I got and 4 out of 8 had MIT. I contact Piggy Paint Canadian Distributor to see about returning those bottles, but I also contacted Piggy Paint to let them know about this toxic chemical in their formula. It took them a few days to investigate and my Cdn. Dist. got back to me saying that "all new formulas of Piggy Paint nail polish would contain MIT" as a safety precaution.

Fair Enough. I can't tell manufacturers how to make their products and while I don't agree with using MIT, I understand their decision to do so. I am, however, upset that I had to find out this way. There was no official letter from Piggy Paint to their retailers, indicating that the formula changed and had I just been re-ordering what I'd been ordering for the last 2 years, I would not have had reason to read the label - since one would assume any changes would be communicated from manufacturer to retailer - no?

So yes, I was upset to learn about MIT in Piggy Paint and even more upset that no communication occurred to let retailers know. Natural e GREEN is a store that screens products to ensure toxic chemicals are not present. It has built a reputation on gaining customer trust and we aren't about to change our objective. You can trust us to bring in the safest products and to be honest with you.

What is Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) and Why is it Dangerous?

MIT is a chemical preservative, used often in cosmetics and personal care products. It commonly replaces parabens, another chemical preservative.  MIT is known to cause skin sensitivity and have detrimental effects on the immune system. In-vitro tests showed neurotoxic effecgts on mammalian cells.  It is restricted in Canadian cosmetics and Japan offers restrictions when this ingredient is used in certain formulations.

In our book, "The Cosmetic Chemicals Guide: What You Should Know Before You Buy", we discuss MIT as well as other common chemicals you will find in everyday items. The book helps you to recognize these chemicals and their alternate names  and shows you how to shop safer. You can find our book @ our store here....

Is Piggy Paint Dangerous Now That it Contains the Chemical MIT?

I can not answer this question, this is a consumer choice that only you can make. From what I've been told, the concentration of MIT is well under what the government allows but, for my own personal choice, that means nothing since the government allows use of parabens and triclosan, chemicals which have health effects but are allowed anyways.

For myself, I steer clear of the common chemicals, despite their concentration and despite the fact that the "FDA" says they are "safe" in certain amounts. Parabens are deemed to be safe and are allowed in products, yet Denmark recently banned them from children's products, so no - I do not believe or trust our government regulations. That and that fact that the FDA is not able to police products on the market and there are many products out there that are more harmful than we are led to believe.

So, is Piggy Paint dangerous? You can decide that for yourself. Our store will not carry it, unless their formula changes. I have loved Piggy Paint from the beginning and so has my daughter. I am very saddened that the formula has changed and that is has changed to such an extent that it must be removed from our product line, but to each their own!

I will say that compared to the alternative of conventional polish, Piggy Paint is safer yes. But our store strives to offer the safest options out there and we do stick by the determination to not allow products with certain chemicals, including but not limited to: Parabens, SLS or SLES, BHA, PEG, 1,4 Dioxane, Fragrance or Parfum, Methylisothiazolinone (MI or MIT), Phthalates, Triclosan, Oxybenzone, Formaldehyde Releasers.

No comments:

Post a Comment